March 9, 2012 5:25 pm
The sociologists and psychologists who are addressing this distinguished assembly will have laid out the dimensions of the sociological and psychological dysfunctionality of the family; which includes, for example, the incidence of divorce, the amount of sexual and psychological abuse, the alienation and isolation of children, the easy slide that such alienation and isolation facilitates into drug abuse, sexual license and other modern forms of escapism.
What I wish to explore here is how the modern age has a philosophical and theological dysfunctionality in respect to its understanding of children and their intrinsic importance, and of the importance of children to their parents and society. At the risk of sounding unduly alarmist, I must observe that our society has nearly reached a state of philosophical insanity in respect to the value of human life, the value of babies and the meaning of sexuality. A state of philosophical insanity means that we are fundamentally and basically denying the reality of fundamental and basic truths to the point that our behavior is dangerously self-destructive.
March 8, 2012 1:25 pm
- Robert T. Michael, “Why did the U.S. Divorce Rate Double Within a Decade?” Research in Population 6 (JAI Press, 1988) 361-399; see also his “Determinants of Divorce,” Sociological Economics ed. by Louis Levy-Garboua (London: SAGE Publications, 1979) 223-254 and his “The Rise in Divorce Rates, 1960-1974: Age-specific Components”, Demography 15:2 (May 1978) 177-182.
- Dr. Edward Peters, “Contraception and Divorce: Insights from American Annulment Cases”
February 22, 2012 6:31 pm
- I have a talk Hormones R’ US
- Dawn Eden, “The Thrill of the Chaste“
- Lionel Tiger, “The Decline of Males“
- Jennifer Roback Morse, “Smart Sex“
- Anonymous, “Unprotected“
- Francis Fukuyama, “The Great Disruption“
- Chris and Linda Padgett, “Not Ready for Marriage, Not Ready for Sex: One Couple’s Return to Chastity“
- Fletcher Doyle, “Natural Family Planning Blessed Our Marriage: 19 True Stories“
- S. Joseph Tham, “The Missing Cornerstone: Reasons Why Couples Choose Natural Family Planning“
- Robert E. Rector, Kirk A. Johnson, Ph.D., Lauren R. Noyes, Shannan Martin, “Harmful Effects of Early Sexual Activity and Multiple Sexual Partners Among Women: A book of Charts”
- The Heritage Foundation has lots of good material. I recommend the work of Patrick Fagan.